Monday, March 21, 2011

Here It Goes...

I know everyone is writing blogs these days, but I feel as though my blog will hold me more accountable to what I want to accomplish.

Here's the goal:
I want to run in the St. Jude's Half Marathon on December 3, 2011.

I realize that the "cool thing" to do right now is to start running, and I also realize a bunch of people just ran in the Little Rock race this past month, but this is my way to really start to train.

I have a background in running. I really do. In the 7th grade I had a friend trick me into joining cross country.  She said it was a traveling class and at the ripe age of 12, I believed her.  The next week I was in workout gear being told I had to run a mile time trial.  I thought I could kill her, but instead I fell in love with the sport. In the next six years I ran track and cross country and loved ... well most of it.  Now many of you may be thinking that a half marathon is a breeze for a runner, but here's the thing, I've never ran 13 miles in one time in my entire life..  In track I was a middle distance runner, ie 800m (half a mile) and 400m (quarter of a mile).  For cross country in Texas, our race was only 2 miles.  A half marathon? That is 13.1 MILES.

My goal:  To run under 2 hours. That's a little more than 9 minute miles.  I would love to run faster, but baby steps people.  So no mockery of the time I want.

So I'm keeping this blog to, once again, hold me accountable. I know only my mom and Hannah may read this, and that's okay.  That is two more people who can get onto me about running day after day. 

And here it is, today is the first day of really trying to get out there and run. There is only 256 days, 9 hours and 58 minutes until the race begins. I'll let you know how I feel about 13.1 miles tomorrow...

For more information on the St. Jude's marathon in Memphis, TN please visit http://www.memphismarathon.com/.


Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. That rules! I'm super jealous of people who are able to do this kind of thing. You've probably heard of this book already, but I know when Aaron was training to run his marathon, he read "Born To Run" and loved it. I think it has a lot to do with training for marathons and half marathons and stuff. Just for what it's worth. Either way, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete